The University of Northampton has received money from the Office for Students (OfS) to help support students who are struggling with the costs of their student accommodation, as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. The University of Northampton Financial Guidance Team have therefore set up a new Accommodation Hardship Fund.
The Office for Students (OfS) Accommodation Hardship Fund can offer support to students who are renting student accommodation (both University Halls of Residence or Private Sector accommodation) and who are facing financial hardship because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
To be eligible to apply for this fund, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be enrolled on a University of Northampton Higher Education course. The Fund will be available to all Home, EU and International Students who are enrolled on a full-time or part-time, Undergraduate or Postgraduate course or studying with a University of Northampton Sub-Contract partner.
- You must be able to demonstrate that you have student accommodation costs to pay. The Fund is aimed at those who cannot live at home and are currently living in University of Northampton Halls of Residence or Private Sector student accommodation OR those who are currently living at home but are still paying rent for student accommodation.
- You must be able to demonstrate that you are in financial hardship. This could be a loss of an income stream which you rely on, such as a loss of employment or reduced working hours/furlough, you have been advised to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or have incurred additional costs due to Covid-19 and have access to limited funds. You will need to provide copies of your bank statements to demonstrate your access to limited funds.
- You cannot apply for this fund if you have applied for and are eligible to receive a rent rebate on your rental contract with the University of Northampton Halls of Residence. All applications will be checked with the Accommodation Team.
- You cannot apply for this fund if you are living in your own home (mortgage or renting) and are therefore not paying additional rent for student accommodation.
Please be aware that the OfS Accommodation Hardship Fund is limited and applications will be processed in date order by the Financial Guidance Team. Awards are restricted to one per student; up to a maximum award of £500.
To apply for the OfS Accommodation Hardship Fund you must complete the online application form which you can find on the Student Hub:
For further information about this fund and other funds offered by the Financial Guidance Team, please visit the Finances pages!
To allow the team to process your application as quickly as possible, please ensure you have provided all your supporting documents. This includes a copy of your tenancy agreement as well as a copy of bank statements for ALL the accounts held by you as well as any other supporting evidence that can help your application.
Many students are failing to submit all their bank statements, which means we need to ask for further information and results in a delay with your assessment. Please help us to help you, by providing all your information when you submit your application.
The deadline to apply is Wednesday 17 March 2021. All application forms and any supporting evidence must be received by this date and will not be accepted after this date.
The team have already received a large number of applications. Funds are limited, so please be aware that funds could be fully allocated before the deadline date is reached.
If you would like to find out more about this fund or other support offered by the University, please visit the University of Northampton Finances page: